CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

11.28.2010

REVIEW - Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Rating: 4 out of 5.


Book Type: Library


Summary:
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty--especially if they learn of her Sight--and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.


Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.


Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.


Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.


But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost--regardless of her plans or desires.


Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; "everything."


Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.


First Sentence: The Summer King knelt before her. "Is this what you freely choose, to risk winter's chill?"

Review:
I have kept my eye on this book for such a long time, and ever since Gina from YAFictionFreaks recommended it, I have longed to get the book. I finally checked it out from the libaray. Luckily I did!


The story is told from 3rd omnicious between basically Keenan, Donia, and Aislinn. I thought that that POV was the best way to tell the story -- having each character have their emotions put across to the reader made it easier to become attached to the charcaters like I did. Unfortunately, I did not really become attached to Aislinn. Of course, she's been seeing the fey for all her life (and that's not a spoiler just ta let ya know) and everything that comes with that, but when I was telling her to go along with Keenan (who happens to be my favorite character in the whole book) and be his Summer Queen and fall in love with him, she ignored me and did what I didn't want her to do. Keenan didn't do anything to her. Why should she act like a total jerk to him? That's one of the reasons why I gave it four stars.

And also the author made it obvious to hate one of the characters. Beria (I think that's how you spell it. I don't really have the book in front of me.), the Winter Queen, is a major "biotch", and if I could pop up into the book, I would kill her in the most slow and painful way. Yes. I hated her that much.

But personally, the ending, even though it's not with the same pairings as I would want, was a very beautiful and wonderful way to wrap up the story and lead others gracefully to the sequel, Ink Exchange. I can't wait!

 Overall Appeal:
An awesome read if you're looking for adventure and twists. In some areas the writing was sort of hard to follow (or it could be my ADD mind wandering), but all in all, a very enjoyable book. If you're not really into books like this, still check it out. It's worth the time.

Last Words / Recommend?
Of course, I have not read the Iron Fey series (I am so far behind), but I guess if you liked the Iron Fey series (since it's about the same matter: faeries and the different courts), you will like this series as well! I'm going to get Ink Exchange sometime soon! (:

Cover: A+
Such a beautiful cover! The flower resembles something (like THE MAJOR CONFLICT IN THE STORY if you think deeply like I do~) and the whole purple hues that eventually fade to black near the bottom. This is a simple yet gorgeous cover.


1 comment:

  1. I really need to get round to reading this series. Awesome review! =D

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of this post?