CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

12.01.2010

REVIEW - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Rating: 5 of 5


Book Type: Library


Summary:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival.


First Sentence: When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.


Review:
The Hunger Games is just a random book I picked up one day. I decided to read it because it actually looked quite interesting, and I was right in choosing this book! From cover to cover, it was constant suspense. There wasn't a single moment of "This is boring..." The entire book was extremely interesting. I would definitely call it a thriller and suspenseful all the way through.


Katniss Everdeen is definitely an interesting character. Even if her lifestyle may not be uncommon to us, she makes the best of it. She lives in District 12 in Panem which is considered the poorest district in the country. Because of all of the poverty, many people die of starvation or of disease. But Katniss knows how to keep her family well. She takes extreme measures to care for her mother and her little sister, Prim, who don't really know how to do many things other than sit around like lost puppies. Well, they have been like that since the death of Katniss's father, but they are improving.


Some other great characters that end up quite important in the story are Gale, Katniss's hunting partner; Peeta, the other tribute from District 12; and Haymitch, Katniss and Peeta's mentor for the Games. Each have their own personality, especially Peeta. He grows to be a main character, and Suzanne definitely does a good job to make you feel emotionally connected to him. He is calm, laid-back, caring, and he will do anything to keep Katniss safe and protected in the Games. Did I mention he was the baker's son?


So, I highly recommend this book if you like to be interested all the way through. It is very wonderful and absolutely amazing! There isn't a single boring moment and when you think something is going to happen, there's always another thing around the corner ready to surprise you. And, the suspense continues in the next book, Catching Fire! And the next one after that, Mockingjay!


Overall Appeal:
I believe I already mentioned this... WONDERFULLY ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY AWESOME!! definite suspense and thriller!


Last Words/ Recommend?
Last words... its amazing!! A must-read for anyone! And of course, I highly recommend this book!!!


Cover: A
The cover may seem boring and maybe a little dull, but it is FILLED with symbolism. Once you read the book(s), you will understand. But, I'm not going to give anything away! Because then no one would read the book. So find out for yourself by reading The Hunger Games!

4 comments:

  1. wow awesome review now i really have to see what all the fuss is about thesebooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review, i also loved reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review!

    This book is in my top TBR list for months and I have it in my shelf (birthday present from my friend), but somehow I haven't started yet.
    I should start it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I LOVED the Hunger Games, devoured it in one night and couldn't wait for Catching Fire. I liked the series as a whole, but the first book will always be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of this post?