CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

12.30.2010

REVIEW - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Series: Mortal Instruments Series

Book No.: 1

Rating: 5 out of 5


Summary: (from GoodReads) 
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

First Sentence: "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.  

Review:
Oh my goodness. What a masterpiece I have encountered. 
It was just a I'm-bored-and-there's-nothing-to-read-and-this-book-is-cheap-so-I'm-going-to-buy-it-and-read-it kind of book, but as I read on, I lost track of time and realized that my first judgement of this book had been wrong. Yes, this book had rave reviews, but so did Hush, Hush, and so did Fallen, and so did Twilight, but I didn't really like them at all, so I just expected this to fall shorter than my already low expectation.
I need to have better judgement. Seriously.
This book blends all the elements I adore and gobble up: supernatural creatures like vampires, werewolves, faeries done right, a red-head (like me) looking for answers in the world, a nerdy best friend that resembles one of my friends to a perfect T (I don't think I used that expression right, but you get my point, right?), and the trio of bad-butt (he he~) Shadowhunters.
The main character, Clary, is thrown into the world of the Shadowhunters - a group of half-angel, half-human hunters that keep the order between all the supernatural creatures she thought never existed. She reacted the same way I would react to all of the situations, so that instantly makes me like her, but I have a confession to make. For all you people rooting for TEAM JACE AND CLARY, all I have to say is. . . ew. You'll find out in the book. (; I'm all for Simon. I eat up his character. He's too adorable to hate. Another character I love is Luke. Werewolf blended in with the instinct of a protective guardian: everything I love.
All in all, if you're looking for a book packed with action, mystery, adventure, and little romance that doesn't block the action (thank God), then stick your nose into this book. You'll be guaranteed the ride of your life.

Cover: A
But, ew, Jace is on the cover. . . just kidding. Even though I prefer Simon over Jace, you have to admit that the cover is beautiful, but you can't really admire it if you don't have it in your hands. It's more pretty when you can see the glow the cover emits. I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this post?