CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1.27.2011

INTERVIEW - Kate O'Hegarty


MieradomeAbout the Book




Mieradome pulls the reader into a unique fantasy world of faeries and technology, a different take on the Alice in Wonderland concept. The story revolves around a young girl named Amavia who believes she is a human girl, but slowly comes to find she is a faery in the world of Mieradome. Slowly who Amavia was began to unravel to show the truth; the truth that she just may be the evil they need to destroy. This is the first novel in a series, and gives a glimpse of what is to come for the main character Amavia. Fans of the Harry Potter series and His Dark Materials will definitely enjoy this adventure.



Interview


Best Friend's Book Affair: First, my readers would like to meet the author. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m Kate O’Hegarty. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Folklore & Mythology. I live in the Central Valley of California. My favorite color is blue. I love to read, especially non-fiction. I have traveled internationally since I was 7 years old. I’m in love with the 1920’s era, and I love a good cheese pizza!

BFBA: Who are your favorite authors, and did you use any techniques from their writing to write your book?
My favorite authors are: C.S. Lewis, William Trevor, and Frank Herbert. William Trevor uses not so many pages but is able to tell a very well rounded story. So I kept trying to pull back on pages that were un-necessary and get to the heart of where the story is going. C.S. Lewis inspires me to think fantasy and that the sky is the limit on ideas. Frank Herbert has a technique of writing a lot about ecology, plants and such. I looked to that to describe Mieradome, be as visual as I could when writing scenes.

BFBA: Tell us a little about your book.
Mieradome is ‘like a twisted Alice in Wonderland’, about a young faerie girl Amavia who is on a search of self-discovery. The book is essentially about good and evil and how that can sometimes over take us. It is also about the duality of our internal natures, the yin & yang.

BFBA: What lead you to write this? Was this a spontaneous idea or did it take a while to form?
Most of my stories either come from dreams or my own life. For Mieradome, I had a dream about a girl in a bedroom looking out her window where a bright light zips past her ear and out into the dark of night. That little light ended up disappearing into a large oak tree. The dream made me wonder why that light would go in the tree, what the tree was hiding, and what the little light actually was. So in essence, I just expanded on the small idea I had and built a world around that.

BFBA: Tell us about your main character. What is she like?
Amavia, the main character in my story, is a fifteen year old girl who is really uncertain about things, specifically who she really is. Her move into Mieradome opens a window to secrets were held from her about her past. She comes face to face with those demons.

BFBA: Are any of the characters in your book based off of yourself, people you know, or other characters in stories? If yes, who?
Yes, there are characters based on people I know. My sister Shannon, who designed Mieradome’s cover, is Shannon Moana Hine in the book as a dog sled racer. An inside joke between my sister and I gave Ditto #3 (a postal bird) his name.

BFBA: Who's your favorite character in your novel? Why?
My favorite character is Prince Boyt. I have this video on my blog explaining why he is my favorite!

BFBA: How was the path to publishing your book? Was it smooth or rocky?
The path to publishing Mieradome had its highs and lows. I originally sent this manuscript and story off to agents. They all liked it and said the writing was good, but that it didn’t quite ‘fit their lists at that time’. I knew that it wouldn’t ever find its place if I didn’t find the place for it. So initially, Mieradome was only going to be published as an e-book, but then that fell through with the company I was working with. I finally found a company that would help me print my book, so I decided to have a paperback instead. Then came editing, cover design, publicity/marketing. It has been a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

BFBA: If you could be ANY paranormal creature, what would you be and why?
I’d love to be telepathic to hear other people’s thoughts!

BFBA: Last question: What can we see from Amavia and her friends in future books?
We will see her growing and changing, as teenagers do. We will see her come face to face with who she really is and how she must deal with that, whether positive or negative.




Visit The Author






Brianna's View



I loved interviewing O'Hegarty so much! I received an e-mail from her asking me to interview her, and that was the very first e-mail I have received from an author. It made my day! Coming up with interview questions was a very fun process, and the best part of the experience is reading her answers. 

This book is very high on my wish list, and I hope to get it and read it soon! (: 

Thank you so much for letting me interview you, Kate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this post?