CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1.02.2011

REVIEW - The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)The Dark Divine by Bree Despain 


Series: The Dark Divine Trilogy


Book No.: 1


Book Type: Own


Rating: 4 / 5 (☼ ☼ ☼ ☼)


Summary: (Brought to you by GOODREADS!)
A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love

A Deadly Secret


Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her sou
l.



First Sentence: Blood fills my mouth. 


Review: 
As I've already said, this was a Christmas present bought by my awesome cousin who let me pick any book at BooksAMillion. At all of the book blogs, I have read that this book was a very fresh and new start in YA fiction and that it was a great book to start a great series. I gave it a chance. I stayed up until seven in the morning finishing this book. I have to say that it's well worth it. 


Grace is surprised by the sudden return of Daniel, a childhood friend that "ran away" three years ago. Throughout the first half (or 1/3 of the book. . . ) of the book, she's trying to discover his motives of returning, what the reason is that he's returned to a place where her family made certain to never let him back again. (My wording sucks if you can't tell.) And I'll let you know that the reason will surprise you like it did me. 


At first, I thought that this book was another vampire novel. A story of a guy desperately in love with a girl, and then he reveals that he's a vampire, and she turns into Bella. Oh me, oh my. But no! Hold it! The book twists. The whole book becomes unpredictable, and you don't know what's going to happen next. I've had a hard time trying to come across a book that totally takes me by surprise and takes a total left turn when I thought it was going to take a right. Okay, so my similes/metaphors/whatever aren't very persuading, but I'll tell you, if you're looking for a wonderful, beautifully written story where the plot twists and turns against your will, then you'll find this book to be an amazing one. 


I'm going to add this section >> Characters: <<
(Because you can never get enough of them.) Grace. Ah, Grace. Sometimes, I wanted to punch her in the face for being either stupid or sounding stupid. Other times, like at the end of the book, I wanted to hold her and tell her that her awesome boyfriend that I grew to love will come back. Yes. A roller coaster of emotions influenced me. 


Daniel: I. LOVED. HIM. I didn't launch into a drooling, nasty fit when I read his name, but I have to admit that his character is lovable. When he was sad, I grew sad. ): Other words, he influences the overall mood of the novel whenever he makes an appearance. 


Jude: I. hate. him. Man, the author took him and made a sudden, unpredictable U-turn with his character. I'm not going to spoil the book at all, (because wouldn't that just be mean?) but you'll grow to hate him. Trust me. Same with Pete. 


Cover: A-
Man. This girl looks dead. 



1 comment:

  1. The cover of this book has made me interested in reading it, but your review makes me want to read it that much more! This book is definitely moving up on my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think of this post?