CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

5.14.2011

REVIEW -- Wishful Thinking by Alexandra Bullen

Book Title: Wishful Thinking
Author: Alexandra Bullen (Goodreads page with link)
Series: Meh. This is a companion novel, but nothing major.
Book No.: 2...meh?
Source: Won from THESTORYSIREN! Yeah. I know!
Pages: 243
Publisher: Point
Rating: 4.5/5 (☼☼☼☼½)

* * *
If you could wish for a different life, would you? What if that life changed everything you thought was real?


Adopted as a baby, Hazel Snow has always been alone. She's never belonged anywhere--and has always yearned to know the truth about where she comes from. So when she receives three stunning, enchanted dresses--each with the power to grant one wish--Hazel wishes to know her mother. Transported to a time and place she couldn't have imagined, Hazel finds herself living an alternate life--a life with the mother she never knew.

Over the course of one amazing, miraculous summer, Hazel finds her home, falls in love, and forms an unexpected friendship. But will her search to uncover her past forever alter her future?
In the heart-pounding, luminous sequel to WISH, Alexandra Bullen asks the question: If you could wish for a new life....would you?
* * *

Magical dresses? Discovering yourself? Being able to wish for anything your heart desires (well, with limits, of course)? All wrapped up in one book? Count me in!

This story is revolved around a bitter character, Hazel, who can only contemplate on the worst in life. Can anyone blame her? She was abandoned by her mother and never got clear answers on where she came from. Her foster parent currently, Ray, (I think that's who it was) is very distant and not very active in raising her. She's basically on her own. Then she receives a sort of unexpected present from Ray (I'm thinking it's Roy now) that is in an evelop, and it turns out it's her birth certificate with her birth mother on it. Her adventure begins there.

I have to say that this book is filled with morals and, most importantly, interesting and vibrant characters. When I started reading this book, I feared that Hazel was going to be some typical agnst teenager, but as the book progressed, her charater blossomed as well as everyone else's. All in all, the characters are awesome, and sometimes I wish I could just grab them from the book and flesh them into real-life friends. Wow, I sound lonely.

The most fleshed-out character that developed the most had to be Jaime. You first met her, and she is some, dare I say, royal bitch who acts like she has a stick up in her butt. Over the course of the novel, you see her become a beautiful, happy girl.

With many twists and turns, memorable characters, and unforgettable life lessons, you are guarenteed an interesting read that will keep you glued to the pages until the wee hours of the morning when you almost regret not sleeping but remembering how awesome the book was. Not like me, of course, because that didn't happen to me. ;)

Favorite Character: It's a tie between Hazel and Jaime. I have to say that those are awesome characters.
Reason Why I Liked It: It's an almost perfect combination of humor yet seriousness and awesome characters that I can actually imagining existing outside the bounds of the pages.

Alexandra Bullen, you have made me order Wish. I just hope it's as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this post?